Skip to main content

Mrs. Wong goes country!


Mrs. Wong and I headed towards North-West of Victoria, to the direction of Dimboola- population 1700. We went with the Houlihans (Paul, Sonya and my favourite man, Finn) on the 24th November, also the Election Day. We had brunch in Ararat, while Sonya and Paul ducked out to vote. We then stopped by Gum San Musuem, which commemorates the first Chinese settlers who founded Ararat when they found gold.

We arrived at Dimboola 2 hours later, passing by Horsham, known to me only because Ros comes from there. Dimboola reminds me of our Malaysian small town, and Sonya's parents home reminds me of our own small town houses- big yard, big roomy rooms, lots of homegrown plants, lots of family heirlooms, furnishing thats been around for years and an outside dunny! But like all small town home, you don't hear traffic, but instead you hear the cricket chirping, and the sound of silence. We went for a walk to the Ebenezer's Mission and then to Wimeera River during sunset. Ebenezer's Mission was a missionary station for the aborigine people but was closed down in the late 19th century. It's not big, or fancy but rather its' small size, simplicity and utter isolation, manages to evoke a sense of respect in the casual observer for its' original purpose. Its' ruins, surrounded by vast, and empty dry land, that evokes a feeling of a lost era. The graveyard next to the chapel, had gravestones of European missionaries, some alone and some with families. A little like the gravestones on St. Paul's Hill in Malacca- where life and death were marked and eternalized on these little headstones. What is remarkable however, is that these life and death are of people from a culture currently perceived to be oceans apart. The walk around the river was beautiful, marred only by the level of water in the river that barely reached waist high (my waist at that!). The extent of the Australian draught was no more starker than it is here. Despite that, there is just a beautiful serenity around town. It's such a stark difference being somewhere where you see more birds than people and cars. It does wonders for the soul.


Sonya's parents, Barney and Mary are the lovliest people. Mrs. Wong said Barney could make playing Santa Claus his profession- and she's right too. Amongst our memorable moments were when Barney played his button accordion to us, and Mrs. Wong getting excited picking oranges from the yard. We also visited Sonya's uncle who kept a small aviary (Major Mitchells are cockatoos and I heard a bird speak for the first time in my life!). Barney took us to his hobby farm and it reminded my of my grandpa. Like Ye Ye, Barney likes putting things together, makeshift huts, toilets, baths etc. In that moment, I missed Ye Ye very much.


We also went a Silo-Hunting. Barney took us to giant Silos, and explained to us how grains used to be stored in these huge (HUGE) cylindrical structures till they were carried away by trains. I like these Silos, again a pang of loss was evoked by these relics of a long-gone era.


Pictures do speak a thousand words:


Ebenezer's Mission



Behind the mission
Dimboola






Silos

Other fun pictures!

Mrs. Wong under the Orange Tree
The gracious hosts, and the Wongs

More pictures next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a dork, I am!!

Hahaha.. I just discovered my old photos. Taken in Cherating with Gordie, SK, and Ping- 2004, July. I was...26! I love these photos. We drove overnight to Cherating, stayed up whole night to watch the sunrise and waited for the turtles to nest.... while having beer of course. And up to silly antics as usual.. This was the good ol' days before PhD, babies, girlfriends and boyfriends- when we could all still stay up late, and climb coconut trees. And no matter how hard I try- I just could not look not-dorky. I love you guys!

My life, as viewed from my mobile phone

I've recently uploaded the random photos taken with my Sony Ericsson mobile phone. I think these are great photos because they capture the daily moments of randomness where I'm excited enough to well, take photos. This will be literally, snapshots of my life.. The extraordinary color of the Eucalyptus tree bark when it sheds. This picture was taken from Gerald's flat, and the building behind is the infamous Scheps- where I spent the first two years of my life (editted to add) IN MELBOURNE. My Scheps room after I've packed, and all ready to move out (sob)- taken for sentimental reasons. The lovely Abbottsford Convent, a old convent-turned-heritage ground/arts precinct/garden. I love this place. Taken during almost-sunset. The amazing Sony-Bravia-Ad worthy view from my room, during fall. Takes my breath away, every morning when I open my eyes. My precious Macbook- at its first unveiling. Discovery of the panoramic settings on my phone. Lessons in bedroom etiquette for, um

Long delayed photographs of Sydney

Hmm. I am on a roll.. am beset by urges to do anything except work- is that called procrastination? So, here they are. Selected photographs taken with Farrah's Canon E05, SLR of Sydney while I was there in January. Taken on 13 April 2008: View of the Sydney Opera House and the Harbour Bridge, taken from the Botanical Gardens, on a late afternoon after the rain. Love the skyline and the dramatic clouds. It is actually the same day- but how the sky is different. One of my favourite shots. I actually made a short note of the my mood at the time- it reads: Today is gorgeous. Rained for an hour and now the everything is awashed with the after-the-rain dampness and also, crispness. The air smells wonderful and it just feels so peaceful. Everything feels cleansed and renewed. Nature is beautiful. St. Mary's Cathedral- also after the rain Three fine gentlemen at the Botanical Gardens Away from nature- I like this shot. Taken at the King's Cross (duh) train station. Next on the prog